Banana nut bread is one of those foods that brings back fun childhood memories for me. I used to love when my mom would make her banana nut bread because it would fill the house with such a wonderful scent as it baked. As soon as the temperatures drop, I start to crave some of my Fall favorites and banana bread was one of the first things I decided I wanted this year. Because I have been trying to make healthy swaps for some of my old faves when cravings hit, I thought I would give a run at making a skinny banana nut bread that was not only gluten free, but also sugar free. I was really happy with how it turned out and my mom even gave it her seal of approval!
To make this skinny banana nut bread you will need: ripe bananas, eggs, honey (or maple syrup), vanilla extract, coconut flour, ground flaxseed meal, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and walnuts.
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Next, generously grease a 9 x 5 baking pan with coconut oil or coconut oil spray. You can also line it with parchment paper. Next, mash your bananas in a large mixing bowl either by hand or using an electric mixer. Then add your cracked eggs, honey or maple syrup, and vanilla to the bowl. Mix well. Then add the coconut flour, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Blend until it is well combined. Finally, fold in your walnuts. Allow your batter to sit for five to ten minutes so the coconut flour absorbs some of the liquids. Then, put it in the oven to cook for about 50 minutes. You’ll not only smell it as it finishes, but it will be golden brown on top. Another good trick for checking that it is done is to insert a toothpick in the center and pull it out. If it comes out clean, it’s finished. I topped mine with more honey and cinnamon, but it would be delicious served with your favorite nut butter or maple syrup as well. You can also add dairy free chocolate chips or blueberries.
- 3 ripe, peeled bananas
- 4 large eggs
- 3.5 Tablespoons of honey (you can also use maple syrup)
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons of coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons of ground flaxseed meal
- 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Thoroughly grease a 9 x 5 baking pan with coconut oil or line with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas by hand or using an electric mixer.
- Add the cracked eggs, honey or maple syrup, and vanilla to the bowl. Mix well.
- Next, add the coconut flour, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Blend well until combined.
- Fold in chopped walnuts.
- Let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes so the coconut flour can soak up the liquids.
- Pour the batter into your greased baking pan and bake for about 50 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when the top is brown and when you can insert a toothpick in the middle and pull it out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting and serving.