A few weeks ago I took you all behind the scenes when I was shopping for a new designer handbag to add to my collection. I landed on the most beautiful Chanel bag with vintage vibes (although it’s a more rare bag from just a few seasons ago) that I absolutely love. I did a poll on stories asking you all if you had ever bought a pre loved designer bag & was shocked at how many of you said no! I know it can be intimidating if you’ve never done it before, so today I am sharing why I love shopping pre loved designer bags & tips for buying a preloved designer item.
I love pre loved designer bags because not only can you find more rare or sold out bags, but you can often times save some money in the process. So many bags can hold their value for years or decades! Shopping for pre loved bags is a great way to stay on budget, but still get a quality piece that will last you.
5 Tips when Shopping for Pre Loved Designer Bags
- Buy from a trusted source. This is the absolute most important! I know people who have bought bags from generally reputable sources that have turned out to not be authentic, which brings me to my next point.
- Always get a second opinion. Check the return policy on where you are buying a bag from before you purchase. If they are guaranteeing that it is authentic, then that should be a part of the purchase agreement. If you take your bag to get a second opinion & it turns out to be inauthentic, you should be able to get a full refund.
- Do your research. You should know the original price of the bag, so you can ensure you’re getting a good deal on it. Some bags may actually increase in value because they are limited edition, no longer made, or other factors. Understanding what goes into the pricing of bags is really important to ensure you’re getting a good deal!
- Check for wear. Bags naturally wear as people use them. Our oils get onto the leather, things accidentally spill, metals scratch or tarnish, & edges 0r bottoms become worn. While this is natural & a part of the fun– your bag has a story– you need to be on the look out for all of these things! You also need to understand what can be fixed with a quick clean at a trusted store & how these things typically impact pricing.
- Beware of financing offers. This is really a tip for life, but especially when shopping for a bag. If stores or site are offering financing on a bag, you may be paying a lot more than that bag is really worth because of the interest. It’s always best to wait until you have the cash to make the purchase, but if you do choose financing, be sure that you aren’t paying ridiculous interest rates or fees.
If you are Dallas based, I highly recommend checking out Keeks Designer Handbags in Plano. Not only do they have the most insane selection, but the service is amazing, & they can authenticate bags using a special system they have in store. They have experts on site to authenticate & use a third party authentication service. Kristen, the owner is so helpful & has a true passion for helping others find their dream bags to add to their collections. They are known for their designer bags, but they also have some other accessories & shoes in store, too. They have weekly new arrivals & if you are Louis Vuitton lover I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a crazy, huge selection of LV’s in my life! If you are not local to Dallas, they do have other locations in Texas or you can shop online or via their Instagram.
In addition to Keeks, have personally bought preloved designer bags from eBay’s authenticated selection, Farfetch, The Real Real, & Tradesy. I have also gotten bags from smaller resale or consignment stores & from Shopbop’s vintage collection. Julia Rose Boston‘s Instagram is another popular source to find bags & she often has sold out bags! Just a reminder to always take your bags to get a second or even third opinion. I know people who have bought from these sources thinking their bag is authentic & come to find out it wasn’t.
Always trust your instincts when it comes to these things! If something seems too good to be true, then it probably is. Shopping for pre loved designer bags is fun & should help you score a rare or discontinued bag or save a little money. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out! I am here to help however I can. If you’re shopping for new designer items, be sure to check out my roundup of designer sneakers & designer tote bags. Also, check out my most recent wishlist for some fun items I’m eyeing right now. XO