Tortilla soup was a weekly staple for me in high school. I worked at a restaurant that had the most delicious tortilla soup and I would take it home in huge containers because I loved it so much. While there are a lot of creamy white versions, I prefer the tomato based ones. Plus, they have to be healthier. I discovered a tomato version awhile ago and have added my own little tweaks to it here and there to come up with this mexican chicken soup recipe. While their are no tortillas in an effort to make it healthier (so healthy that it’s Whole 30 approved), it has a majority of the same flavors of tortilla soup. You can make it on the stove top or in your slow cooker. Either way, it’s a super easy recipe that you can eat on all week or freeze and eat later when you don’t feel like cooking. Every time I bring it for lunch at work I get asked for the recipe because it smells, looks, and tastes so good! The ingredient list might look long.. but don’t let that stop you. This is a really easy recipe to follow!
- 2 pounds of chicken breasts
- 1 28 ounce can of diced, fire roasted tomatoes
- 32 ounces of organic chicken broth
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 jalepenos, deseeded and diced
- 2 cups of shredded carrots
- 2 cups of celery, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup of Frank’s red hot sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons of cuminn
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups of water
- 2 limes, juiced
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Avocados, sliced for topping
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and 1/3 cup of chicken brother in a crock pot or larger dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, garlic, jalepenos, salt + pepper and cook until soft. Add more chicken broth if needed.
- Then, add all of you remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours.
- When chicken is fully cooked, you should be able to shred it easily in the pot.
- Top with lime wedges, avocado, and cilantro. Serve & enjoy!