I’ve been eating, watermelon. I guess watermelon is so last year if you ask Beyonce. She’s moved on to lemons or rather, lemonade. I digress. Let’s talk watermelon, because I love it. I’m eating it on its own as I type this trying not to get the juice all over my keyboard.This delicious fruit just screams summer. I remember as a kid having watermelon seed spiting contests at summer cookouts as a family. It’s such a refreshing thing to eat on hot days, especially when you’re sitting outside by the pool and basically dying of heat stroke, as I am in Texas.
One thing I love about the summer is I often crave cold foods– salads, smoothies, açaí bowls. Luckily, these are on the healthier side. Especially compared to the hearty soups and takeout food that I always want in the winter. This salad is so light and refreshing, but doesn’t leave me feeling hungry an hour or two later. You could easily add shrimp for a little bonus protein!
The below should make 2+ servings, depending on if you’re eating it on it’s own or as a side.
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Tablespoon organic honey
- 3 cups baby arugula & spinach
- 2 cups seedless watermelon, cubed
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup of mint, diced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup of red onion, diced*
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
*This is also delicious, maybe even more so, with pickled red onions. The store was sold out when I went so I went with the good ole regular raw ones. Pickled gives this an added flavor and is much friendly for your breath. Just sayin’!
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Combine balsamic vinegar and honey, add to pan, and heat until it begins boiling. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until it reduces by half. Then, remove the pan from the heat. The reduction will continue to thicken as it oils. Once cool, store in the refrigerator.
- Add arugula and spinach to a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and salt. Add watermelon, feta cheese, mint, and pine nuts. Drizzle generously with balsamic reduction & enjoy!