A few weeks ago while we were refinishing the floors in our home, we decided (or rather, had) to do a Dallas summer staycation. We thought it would be fun to stay in the Dallas Design District for a long three night weekend, so we booked a room & had so much fun. Today, I’m sharing our staycation itinerary & some of my recommendations for what to do & where to eat in the Dallas Design District.
Dallas Summer Staycation
Below I’m sharing some itinerary options for a Dallas summer staycation. This is focused on the Design District in Dallas to make things easy & accessible. If you all like this, I can work on guides for other areas of Dallas & share soon.
Stay at Dallas’s newest hot spot hotel, The Virgin Hotel. If you haven’t been, it’s a must visit & even more fun to stay at! We absolutely loved our room. It was so spacious & nice. The hotel has amazing amenities including a gym on site, a workout room, a coffee & snack shop downstairs, & a restaurant on site. The staff is so friendly & attentive, too. One of the things I love about The Virgin is that the snacks & drinks in your room are not 10x the normal price like so many hotels. It’s such a small amenity, but things like this make such a difference in how I view a hotel! They also have a great view from the upstairs bar of Downtown.
- Day: Check in to The Virgin Hotel & get settled. Then, pop downstairs for a drink at the bar.
- Night: Follow up happy hour with dinner at The Commons Club, the on site restaurant. They have a little something for everyone on their menu! Hang around the hotel bar after dinner or go back up to your room & enjoy the reasonably priced mini bar while you binge watch TV in bed.
- Morning: Start your day off with a workout in the hotel gym & then grab your morning coffee from their on site shop, The Funny Library. They have light breakfast options available, too.
- Day: Head to The Pool Club at The Virgin Hotel. I’d recommend going early to snag a daybed in the area reserved for hotel guests. It’s a popular spot so it fills up quick! You can also reserve a daybed or cabana if you want. Hang at the pool all day where you can order snacks & lunch.
- Night: After the pool, get ready for dinner. I’d recommend a nice dinner at either Town Hearth, The Charles, or Oak. They are all wonderful restaurants with so many delicious menu options & great vibes. You can’t go wrong with any! I’d recommend making a reservation in advance to ensure you get a table.
- Late Night: Finish up dinner with a cocktail back at the hotel bar. It’s open late & is always so fun! There are also DJs up at The Pool Club on many weekend nights, so for an even more lively scene you can head up there.
- Morning: Sleep in or start your day off with a workout. Then, walk to Acension, a favorite Dallas coffee & breakfast spot.
- Day: Walk around the Design District to check out some of the cool shops, antique stores, & art galleries. Then, have lunch at El Bolero or Rodeo Goat. You can also check out the Texas Ale Project for a fun beer tasting!
- Night: Do a more relaxed dinner at either PakPao Thai or Pie Tap. All are delicious depending on what you are in the mood for. You don’t have to have reservations, but I recommend it. Especially if you’re going at prime time.
- Late Night: After dinner you can go bowling at the oh so cool Bowlounge. I’d recommend reserving a lane ahead of time!
- Morning: Sleep in or workout, grab your morning coffee, & checkout.
- Day: Head over to Meddlesome Moth or Wheelhouse for a delicious brunch or lunch before heading back home!
>Related: The Best Mac & Cheese in Dallas
I hope you all found our Dallas summer staycation itinerary to be helpful when planning some time in the Dallas Design District. There are so many fun things to do in that part of town & we loved switching it up for a few days. I’ll work on a full Design District guide & guides for other neighborhoods around Dallas, soon. XO