I’ve been seeing countless pictures of Greece lately. From celebs, to friends, to family.. I can’t get these stunning images off my feeds. I already suffer from constant wanderlust. But recently, Greece is calling. (So is Southern Italy, France, Peru, Thailand, Tulum, Germany, Croatia, Spain.. k, you get it.) I want to go everywhere. Greece is pretty high up on the current list though. In college, my fiance spent a month studying abroad there and like everyone who has been, has nothing but amazing things to say. We’ve entertained the idea with some of our friends of booking a trip before and we’ve discussed it as one of our honeymoon destinations. But until I can actually get myself there, I have to rely on delicious Mediterranean food to help mentally transport me. This Greek pasta salad did just that.
Greek salad is a classic and is so easy. The main ingredients seem to be pretty consistent no matter where you find it– cucumber, tomatoes, onions, olives, and feta. The dressing is what seems to vary. As well as what it’s served with. You’ll see this served as a side, on its own, with chicken, or in this case with gluten free pasta. (Annnnd, now I’m actually craving a gyro with tzatziki because a greek salad is served along side it at one of my favorite Greek restaurants.) I’m a self-proclaimed pasta-addict and look for any way to eat it. I seriously used to eat it twice a day almost every day. Now, I aim for gluten free pasta when cooking at home because… #swimsuits and #almostthirty. Really, it just makes me feel better when I limit it, so I like to save my gluten consumption for some of my favorite meals on nights out and weekends. It doesn’t always happen, but hey, it’s a good theory.
Snag the recipe for this gluten free greek pasta salad below. Also let me know if you have any must do-s in Greece if you’ve been. Or, if you have some other awesome food I should try to make to hold me over until I can make my way there, let me know. If you’re going soon and want to pack me, I’m cool with that, too!
This makes a pretty good amount, but it keeps well in the fridge– even with the dressing on it, so just go for it.
- 12 ounces of pasta (I used gluten free penne)
- 1.5 cups of cucumbers, diced
- 1 pint (about 1 to 1.5 cups) of cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup of sliced & pitted kalamata olives
- 3/4 cup of feta cheese
- 1/2 cup of chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2.5 Tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon of garlic, minced
- 1/2 a lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Salt + pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Boil water in a large sauce pan. Add pasta and cook until al dente, according to directions. Drain and set aside to cool in a large bowl.
- While your pasta is cooking, chop your cucumber, tomatoes, olives, and onion. Add to large bowl with pasta once cooled. Stir to combine, then add feta cheese.
- Mix together your dressing ingredients. Pour over the top of the salad. Mix to combine. Cover and allow to become chilled in the fridge.
- Serve and enjoy!