Yesterday, on Father’s Day & the first official day of summer, I turned 33. I’m surprised at how much I’ve loved my thirties. I always recall others saying that being in your thirties is such an incredible time. You know who you are. You likely are making a little more to have some flexibility & freedom. You’re more established & know what you want. You’ve learned a decent amount. I’ve approached birthdays as ‘earning another year’ rather than turning another year older. It just sounds nicer & like a true gift, ya know?! I’ve chatted about that before (see last year’s bday post 32 thoughts at 32) & think it’s such an important outlook to remember each year. Since I just earned another year, I thought it would be fun for today’s post to be a year 32 in review.
Year 32 in Review
32 was a busy, exciting year. Below, I’m going through 32 of the biggest things that happened this year & giving a little food for though going forward as I start my 33rd year.
- We rescued another dog, Olive in November. She was around 7 months old when we got her & we absolutely LOVE her. Maddie loves her, too. Check out my 10 reasons to get a dog if you’ve been wanting one!
- Our hall bathroom renovation finished just a few weeks before my birthday last year, so we finished decorating that space shortly after I turned 32.
- We also finished decorating our guest bedroom.
- I traveled to NYC four times.
- I quit my job! I’ll now be working on my blog full time. I am so excited for more balance, rest, & time to be creative!
- I visited Montauk for the first time.
- We spent about six solid weeks at home at the beginning of the global pandemic. We’ve never lived in the time of a pandemic & this is an experience I never thought much about. I hope we’re all being as positive as possible & learn a lot of valuable lessons through this time.
- I switched up my workout routine for the first time in a few years. I’m now doing some light cardio (usually walking, but occasionally will go for a run if I feel like it), P.Volve, Melissa Wood Health, & some The Sculpt Society. I must say, the shift in workouts has been so positive for my mind! I’ll write more on this, soon.
- I went back to Punta Mita. I love any reason to go to Mexico!
- The recent racial issues were at the forefront of conversations these last few weeks of my 32nd year. You can change with me & work on some monthly goals through the end of 2020 to continue to improve on being an ally & an anti racist. I muted myself & took an entire week off of posting my own content to my feed & on stories– something I haven’t done in YEARS.
- We finished decorating our master bedroom (for now anyways).
- I visited Fredericksburg for the first time. After a few months of not traveling, it was great to escape for a little Texas Wine Country weekend for a change of scenery.
- I rang in 2020 in Nashville with Charles & some of our best friends.
- I got to work with a few dream brands including: Free People, Urban Outfitters, Marc Fisher, Whole Foods, & SO many more.
- I completed two successful Whole 30s. I usually do one each January & August.
- I really worked on positive ways to deal with anxiety & stress. Adding in CBD, meditating or having quiet time alone, waiting to check my phone, & working out first thing in the morning all helped with this so much!
- I was featured in Cosmopolitan magazine in the August issue.
- I hit a big blogging goal I had for myself in 2020 two-and-a-half months early! I also hit a few new goals so far this year that I’m so proud of. Hard work really does pay off!
- I went to Charleston for the first time! I also just realized I never wrote a city guide, so that will be coming out soon.
- Charles & I went to Vegas for the first time together.
- With extra time in my schedule, I started reading more & it has been so great for me! I don’t like to look at electronics right before bed, so actually having time to read a book has been wonderful. You can see my current reading list here.
- We finished decorating our living room. It was only a work in progress for fifteen-ish months. It’s fine.
- I got a new car! This is my first SUV & I absolutely love it.
- I really worked on saying no more without apologizing. If I wasn’t feeling going somewhere, I would just turn it down without saying ‘Sorry…’ Saying no & doing what is best for you is really empowering.
- We rang in our second wedding anniversary in Park City, Utah.
- I used my quarantine time wisely to decorate our back patio. I’ll have a full reveal of that space to share soon!
- We also started another home project towards the end of quarantine or just as we started to cautiously get out to turn an old, sort-of unfinished garage conversion, into a family room that opens up to the kitchen. I can’t wait to share more when its finished– hopefully ANY day now.
- I learned it’s okay to release control & accept help because you can’t do everything yourself. I grew my team where I needed to so that I can continue to reach long term goals.
- Being 32 we’ve started discussing more about having a family. After adding two dogs & having a house we have naturally just started to look ahead, but do keep wondering, ‘Are we the only scared ones?’
- Charles started a new job in October. That month he was traveling 4-5 nights a week, but that slowed down quickly after a merger finished. It’s been such a great opportunity for him & our family.
- I worked on not trying to be a perfectionist. Beauty is in the flaws & we all deserve a little more grace. With this, I’ve been working to have more positive conversations with myself & it helps my mindset so much. I’ll write a whole post on this soon!
- I continued to learn that it’s okay to have different areas of your life & friends for different purposes. It’s hard for just one thing, or one person, to be everything you need. This goes for jobs, friends, relationships, passions, health, & really all aspects of life. It’s been a big perspective shift & really eye opening.
I hope you all loved seeing my year 32 in review. It was an amazing year & I feel so thankful for everything I got to do this year. I was able to accomplish so much & even though we are in some current hard times, I’m really looking forward to all that my 33rd year of life brings! XO
Happy birthday! You’re gorgeous! ❤️✨
Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
Comments are closed.