Being engaged and prepping for your wedding is one of the busiest times of your life. It’s also one of the most motivating. When else would you be so motivated to look and feel your best? I talked previously about my wedding skincare prep and after getting quiet a few questions after my post with tips for slimming down your hips, I wanted to share some of what I did for wedding body prep as well as a timeline for it all.
First, lets talk timeline. I wanted to change up my fitness routine slowly right after we got engaged. I personally think you can never start too soon depending on what your goals and current fitness levels are. My goals were toning up more overall and losing inches off of my hips. I think if you are wanting to get into better shape for your big day, start asap. Otherwise, be sure to start at least six months out.
SET REALISTIC GOALS
Seeing results and changes in your body takes time and consistent effort! I remember hearing a bride saying less than a month before her wedding that it was time to start trying to tone her arms. It is extremely rare to see drastic results in such a short time frame, so be sure that you’re setting realistic goals for yourself. You don’t want to set a goal of losing fifteen pounds before your wedding and then wait and start six weeks before, as it may not be possible for you. You don’t want to end up disappointed!
FIND A WORKOUT BUDDY
Whether your fiancé is also trying to get into better shape and can be your workout buddy, or if you’re working out with a close friend or even your furry friend, having someone to keep you motivated and on track is important. Going to group classes can be another great way to stay motivated if you like those!
HIRE A PRO
There is no better time to hire a pro than before your wedding. Having a trainer helps you stay motivated, ensures you are working out hard, and helps you learn new exercises to incorporate into your every day routine. I started working out with a trainer (John Benton aka the Hips Whisperer here in Dallas) who taught me so much in terms of what sort of workouts I should be doing for my long term goals. Be sure that your trainer understands your goals and is helping you with workouts to get you there! For example, if you are wanting to slim your thighs and hips, don’t go to a trainer who is having you do a ton of weighted squats and lunges, because that will build these muscles. I like to go to people who train others who are my #goals or are #bodygoals themselves.
FIND A PLAN
I know that trainers aren’t in the budget for everyone. I went to one starting out, but then leading up I cut that out as a cost and just applied all I learned from him in my day to day. I think investing a little bit in videos or workout routines is a great alternative to fitness classes or training sessions that can really add up. A few of my favorites are blow.
- Amanda Kloots has some great workout videos that you can pay to download once and do anywhere with little to no equipment. I unfortunately did not know about these before our wedding, but I wish I wold have. They are so fun!
- Kayla Itsines, who created BBG, is another great one to do. I did her workouts previously and loved them! The only reason I stopped is because I gain muscle rather quickly and her workouts include a lot of squats and lunges which eventually made my legs bulk. I think her plans are so great though! I’ve modified them to fit my needs, too.
- Yoga is a great way to not only help with your body, but with your mind while wedding prepping. I loved going to yoga (my friend Katie teaches the most amazing classes for any of you in Dallas) and there are some awesome yoga videos and series you can stream online–tons of which are free!
- Ballet Beautiful is another amazing workout series. I stream the arm ones online for free from You Tube and love them. They are quick depending on how many of them you do and its all about long and lean muscles.
- Tracy Anderson is the queen of workouts for celebs and has a ton of videos online. You can find so many of them on You Tube or other sites to stream for free, too.
- Coach 2 5k: this is an app that helps you go from not being able to run at all to being able to run a 5k in a few weeks. I’m currently doing this program to get back into running a little, but think its super helpful for anyone who is new to running or trying to get back into it. I’ve done this program several times before! It only takes 3 days a week and really does work! I love that you can add this in with other workout programs since its not something that you have to do every day.
GET THAT DIET IN CHECK
As much as I’ve tried to prove this wrong, it’s the truth: you can’t out exercise a bad diet. You’ll be much more likely to reach your goals if you get your diet in check early. I do better when I set specific goals for myself and tend to do best in extremes. I love doing the Whole 30 challenge twice a year and especially before any big event or trip if I can. I usually do one every January, so I kicked off my year and five month wedding countdown with this. After I finished my Whole 30, I tried to eat mostly Paleo-ish during the week, then had a few ‘cheat’ meals on the weekends. I believe in everything in moderation, including moderation, so I kept that mindset while eating healthy. We were over in Italy a week before our actual wedding, so I did a Whole 30 the month before we left. I turned thirty just a few days before we left, so I wanted m Whole 30 to end in time for a little celebration! I love alllll Italian food, so I knew I’d be eating pasta and pizza and gelato several times a day in the week leading up to our wedding, so I wanted to feel good enough going into it that I wasn’t worrying.
Whatever works for you in terms of your diet, I recommend having some sort of specific plan so that you stick to it. Don’t start being insanely strict too far out where you burn yourself out and give yourself grace in terms of enjoying yourself. Being engaged is such a fun time with lots of celebrations, so you don’t want to be missing out or be a moody, hungry person along the way.
One thing I also tried was Coolsculpting. I didn’t start this far enough out to really see the results before our wedding, but I did it in preparation to look and feel my best. I should have started it about 6+ months out instead of doing it around 2 months before mine, but it was something I hadn’t head too much about and when I finally found out more and did my research, I decided I wanted to try it even if I wouldn’t see the full results before our big day. I went to see Dr. Jay Burns at EpiCentre Dallas and loved how attentive and supportive they were during the consultation and procedure. Epicentre is a skin care facility that is overseen by the Dallas Plastic Surgery Institute. I loved this! It made me feel so taken care of because I knew everything was overseen by the best in the biz. Coolsculpting takes between 2-3 months after each treatment to see results and often times multiple treatments. I’ll be sharing a full review of this procedure, soon. If you’re in Dallas and interested in coolsculpting before your big day (or just in general) be sure to check out my friends at EpiCentre.
I hope all of this helps you getting started on how you’ll prep your body for your wedding! I’m always setting new goals for getting in shape, but I think that the most important thing is that you feel beautiful and confident. However you achieve that, is dependent upon your individual goals, budget, available time, and body type. Feel free to reach out with any questions and I’ll answer what I can. I’m not a trainer or anything, but am happy to share what I can from my personal experiences. Good luck reaching your goals!! XO